Date:      Wed, 05 Sep 2012 15:14:39 -0400
From:      Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@FreeBSD.org, Jamie Gritton <jamie@FreeBSD.org>, curtis@occnc.com
Subject:   Re: IPv6 multicast sent to jail

In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1209031219120.76284@ai.fobar.qr>
"Bjoern A. Zeeb" writes:

> >> Jamie,
> >>
> >> Certainly not the preferred solution.  Best would be a
> >> jail.allow-ipv6multicast sysctl variable with rejecting the join if 0
> >> and accepting the join and passing in multicast if 1.  Same for v4,
> >> though not of immediate concern since DHCPv4 doesn't need it.
> >>
> >> If you (or someone) would like to point me in the right direction, I
> >> would be willing to put some time into learning the relevant code and
> >> proposing a fix.  No promises, but I can put some time into it.  Off
> >> list if you prefer.
> >>
> >> Curtis
> >
> > It'll have to be someone besides me - I don't know enough about
> > multicast myself to be able to do more than keep it out of jails.
>
> sysctl souns bad to me;  I think it should actually be grouped by
> ip4.* and ip6.*.  What dod we currently do for raw sockets?  Can we
> have a third level easily, as in ip4.raw.*, ip6.mc.*, ...  which of
> course would kill the classic "allow" thing for raw sockets myabe?
>
> /bz

For raw sockets the sysctl variable is:

 security.jail.allow_raw_sockets

One sysctl variable for both inet and inet6 AF.  Perhaps a reasonable
name would be:

  security.jail.ip4.allow_multicast
  security.jail.ip6.allow_multicast

Just to be clear, I was hoping to get some help if I were to make an
attempt to allow ipv6 multicast through, though I suspect that the
code would be very similar for ipv4.

Curtis