Date:      10 Jan 1997 04:10:52 +0100
From:      fenyo@inf.enst.fr (Alex Fenyo (eowyn))
To:        stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.com (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Re: Gravis Ultrasound PnP, How to make work ?

stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown) writes:
> 	I asked around a little about sound cards a few days ago and came to
> 	the conclusion that the Garvis Ultrasound was the best supported one
> 	under FreeBSD. I ordered one, and found out it's a PnP device.
> 	I am running 2.1.5, how do I get this card to work with FreeBSD?

When I had the same problem, people told me to do this (and it worked) :

First, you have to compile a new kernel with sound support
in it (note that with a sb compatible card, the IRQ must be defined
two times, the first time on the device line :
device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
the second time with a line like this :
options SBC_IRQ=5
because of the macro SBC_IRQ used in the driver).
Then, boot your PC with DOS, run the driver furnished on a diskette
with the card, press CTRL-ALT-DEL (don't use RESET), boot your PC with
FreeBSD, build the devices (something like 'cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV snd0'),
connect a 500 Watt audio amplificator, and verify your installation
with the following command :
cat /kernel > /dev/audio
:-)

Alexandre Fenyo