Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:38:35 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Justin Hawkins <justin@tardis.mx.com.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial boot prompt messages and a modem

> > "Swapping them internally" would probably involve about 30 seconds of
> > work.  It's not hard, really. 8)
>
> Yes I know I could have done that. Then reconfigured my getty's, my
> minicom etc. It's the principle of the thing - I prefer to bend the
> software to my will rather than have to open the case.

I prefer to tell people to Do It Right the first time.  Less work for me.
8)

> > No.  Wrong solution.  Connect your console to the console port and your
> > modem to the modem port.
>
> Hmm, last time I checked, they were just 'serial ports'.

Nope.  The significance is determined by the software, and you're stuck
with the fact that the first serial port is the console port.  End of
story.  (Note: if we don't make some assumption about which port will be
the console, how do you expect the software to work out which one it
"should" use?)

> > Sorry about the fascist attitude, but you really do just need to Do The
> > Right Thing here.
>
> :-)
>
> I think the Right Thing is either way. Otherwise there wouldn't be
> documentation on how to change it to some other com port would there?

Not a good assumption.  The documentation is on how to assign the console
to a different 'sio' device, not to a different physical port.

> A hardware swap would hardly by The Right Thing if the box was a few
> thousand kilometres away would it? I would expect a Microsoft product to
> force me to change my hardware to fit what the software wants - not
> FreeBSD.

You wouldn't have (correctly) assembled the system with things the wrong
way around before shipping it, so I don't consider this a problem.

> At any rate, the point is moot, it now works. I never had any real issue
> with the "problem" - I knew I would be able to resolve it in some way. I
> merely wanted to know if it was feasible to change the software to cope
> with this situation, and if not then a little note (which I have supplied)
> to add to the documentation for those less cluefull than me (Dog knows
> there must be one or two out there) is a nice touch, and equally
> useful.

The update is appreciated.  There's no clean or even functional way to
tweak the software, so we have to stick with what we've got. 8(