Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:56:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, msmith@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMI MegaRAID driver

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> >   Does the FreeBSD AMI MegaRAID driver support all the AMI MegaRAID cards?
> >
> >   There seems to be two MegaRAID types:  Express and Enterprise.
>
> These are marketing distinctions and unrelated to the cards'
> interfaces.  The current driver supports the '8LD' firmware interface;
> as soon as I have a card with the '40LD' firmware (Enterprise 1500 and
> maybe 1400) that will be supported as well.
>
> >   Which cards work well?
>
> That's a silly question.  If I haven't canned any of the cards as
> not working, you can assume that all the ones I have work just fine.

  Hardly.  Until now, I didn't know that the Enterprise 1500 wasn't
supported, and I was looking at getting one.  I even read the README
included with the drive, and there was no mention of
supported/unsupported cards.

  However, now I know that certain firmware versions are supported, but
not what firmware versions each card supports.  AMI does not list that
kind of info in the product specs either.

> --
> \\ Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. \\  Mike Smith
> \\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Tom