Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:57:01 +0200
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports: jdk13 vs diablo-jdk13

Mark,

Actually, the Java ports do not depend explicitely on diablo-jdk. At
least not on FreeBSB 5+. It is the case on FreeBSD 4 though so I imagine
that this is the system you are running. For future Java ports you want
to install, I suggest you add this statement in /etc/make.conf:

JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS=	JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_BSDJAVA_JDK_1_4

This way, this particular JDK would be chosen before any other while a
port is trying to pick a JDK to depend on (provided, of course, that
jdk14 suits the needs of the port).

Anyway, if you happen to have jdk14 installed before installing any Java
port, it will be chosen even when you don't override
JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS. Indeed, the ports system will use preferrably any
JDK that is already installed and that suits the needs of the port.

More information on this subject in Mk/bsd.java.mk...

Herve