Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:33:25 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        "MArek" <marekd@enter.net.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: X Server and LCD

"MArek" <marekd@enter.net.pl> writes:
> My old CRT is a bit broken so I decided to buy new screen. I d like to get
> an LCD monitor. I also use FreeBSD , X ver.4.2 server and GNOME 2.2.
> And now my question: Do I have to setup my X for that monitor, or maybe just
> change name, vendor, refresh modes  in my XF86Config ?
> I am not going to use DVI....

Try 'X -configure' and look at the resulting /root/XF86Config.new.
Most monitors built in the last five years have the capability to
report brand & model info as well as device characteristics back to
the computer, and XFree86 4 uses this to compute optimal modelines for
the monitor.

One caveat is that when XFree86 selects the mode to use, it gives
resolution precedence over everything else - color depth, refresh rate
etc.  I generally solve that by adding a DefaultDepth line to the
Screen section to force it to pick a 16- or 24-bit mode, and a fake
VertRefresh line to the Monitor section to prevent it from selecting
modes with refresh rates below 75 Hz.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org