Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 00:56:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, dchapes@ddm.on.ca, rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improvemnet of ln(1).

> >> You frequently link to files that don't exist?  I generally consider
> >> that to be putting the cart before the cat(1), er, horse.  But it's
> >> your system.
> > I don't do it frequently, but yes, I do this occasionally.
>
> Then occasionally getting a warning wouldn't be a bad thing.

Except I like "make world" to complete without issuing any warnings.

The most fundamental thing you can do with a system, building itself,
should not be fraught with warnings, IMO.

> Yes, you could.  I do that quite frequently.  (You can imagine my
> ~/hp9000-hpux/bin directory, full of compatibility scripts.)  But is
> this a problem that only exists for a few users and would annoy many
> (which would mean that we few should use the scripts), or does it
> exist for many and would annoy few (which would mean we should modify
> ln)?

A better place to put this would be a "ln" shell built-in.

> > Whereas in order to get the existing non-"-f" behaviour, I'd have to
> > modify existing code.
>
> A warning message wouldn't break your existing code.  Again, we're not
> proposing a prompt here, just a diagnostic that you can ignore if
> you're intentionally linking to a non-existant file.

A warning implies a seperate exit code, which I can check for, so I
can see if the program completed with no errors or warnings before
proceeding onto the next operation.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---