Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2012 07:50:10 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
Subject:   nvidia driver on amd64 (for asus nvidia gt 610)

running 9.0 release

Being frustrated with my radeon hd-5550 video card which occasionally
(once a week or so) goes into some kind of reset loop, filling up
Xorg.0.log and crashing the system because /var is full...

I picked up an asus nvidia gt 610.
Downloaded the nvidia driver and tried to build it.

make ominously reports:
  ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf32-i386-freebsd
      (nv-kernel.o) to format elf64-x86-64-freebsd (nvidia.ko) is not supported.

Where is the elf32-i386-freebsd stuff coming from?
I just unpacked the driver in a tmp directory and did a make install there.

I found the following which implied it is a make problem in 9.0:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-toolchain/2011-August/000265.html

I'm guessing it can be made to work but I need to define appropriate make
architecture variables, and I'm not sure how to do dat.
Hints?

BTW, can anyone explain why Xorg.*.log doesn't get closed and a new file
opened when it gets rather large and then rotate the way syslogs normally do?
It seems to rotate only when the server is restarted, or at least that's all
I've observed.

Thanks,

Gary