Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:49:34 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Art <mattox@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ? 4 U

Art wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any differences between the 4.5 release of FreeBSD that Daemon
> News offers and the one that FreeBSD Mall offers?

4.5 release is 4.5 release regardless of who offers it. It is the
other stuff that changes. From a real world point of view, they are
out of date as soon as the masters cdroms are burned. There are
patches thay have been added to 4.5-release. The cds provide a good
starting point. If you aren't following the current system, then a
release is sufficient. Just remember that staying with a release is
not sufficient. Security patches are being added and if you stay
behind, then you are as bad off as the W2K sysadmins that haven't
added the patches to prevent things such as Code Red or Nimda.

> The reason I ask is on Daemon News website they indicate that the 4.5
> release is "a newly designed 4-CD set."  It also is depicted in a
> different style case than I am used to seeing in previous releases.

My FreeBSD Mall cdrom set arrived with a much different looking case.
I have opened the case but not used it. I maintain my systems using
cvsup and I was well beyond 4.5-release when they arrived. Everything,
from docs to ports are living things and are being continuously updated.

I consider my cdroms a contribution and a starting point. Systems
start dying from the time you first turn the power on. That doesn't
matter until they actually fail and I don't want to spend hour(s)
downloading an iso to get back to the current release.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA