Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:53:55 -0800
From:      Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   system crash

I've got a problem with 4.5 system. A couple of times this past week my
computer has crashed and rebooted itself. I wasn't around when it happened and
the first time didn't pay much attention, thought it was a power
outage or something.

This morning it had crashed and wouldn't boot, it couldn't mount /usr if
I remember right. I looked for some recovery info and fsck'd /  I got
error messages that there were several blocks that were unrecognizable,
but she booted up and works OK.

I have tried to fsck from run level 1 and the fsck command shows my hd is 0.9%
fragmented. I also remember something about an ioctl error.. but don't
remember what, though.

I suspicion my problem is related to the cusv update that runs at night
or maybe because I reconfigured my network to use dhcp and didn't do it
properly.

I'm wondering what to do from here. I've been toying with the idea of
reinstalling, if only to get a clean XF86 4.1 configuration, rather than
the 3.3 that defaulted on the original install.  Or if I could get this
crash problem solved I might just keep my existing system. Suggestions?