Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 10:50:21 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: politeness

On Tuesday,  3 October 2000 at 13:37:30 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 01:15 PM 10/3/2000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>> *I* don't demand that you be silenced, I just ignore twits like you.
>
> If you absolutely can't bear to read what I have to say, perhaps it
> would be better if you were true to your word and actually did
> ignore me. However, I would hope that you would have enough of a
> stomach to be able to read the occasional opinion which is different
> from yours.

Brett, I think you're missing the point.  Like many people,
Poul-Henning and I tend to delete your messages unread.  When people
start complaining, we take an occasional look, like I have done now.

This doesn't mean that we don't have strong stomachs, nor that we
can't put up with other people's opinions.  In fact, Poul-Henning and
I disagree on a number of topics, but that doesn't stop us from
talking to each other.  It also doesn't stop me from talking to you
when there's something useful to say.  The real reason we tend to
ignore your mail is that we have only ever heard one opinion from you,
and the repetitions are getting boring.

>> Let me try to explain this very slowly again:
>>
>> An ever increasing number of people *do* ask for you to be banned
>> and/or filtered.
>
> Other than one flamer, you are the only one who is asking.

No, that's not correct.  I've heard this from a number of people (> 5,
anyway).

> Worse still, you are going further and making threats. As I have
> already said, this is inappropriate behavior for someone who claims
> to be worthy of a leadership position.

I've accused Poul-Henning of being heavy-handed in the past.  I can't
see him doing so here.

>> If you finally figured out what is being said here, I would expect
>> it to be enough to start introspective thought processes in you,
>> (but so far I se absolutely no signs of such activity).
>
> My messages on the FreeBSD lists are motivated by a desire to advance
> the project and promote the use of its software. If I make a
> technical mistake (and who doesn't?), I admit it and do not claim
> to be infallible or omniscient.

To be fair, I haven't seen many retractions on your part.

I'm not going to be drawn into yet another fruitless discussion on the
part you play in the FreeBSD project.  I do get the impression that a
number of people equate you to a kind of bogey man, and whether this
is justified or not, it would be wrong to ignore the problem.

Greg