Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:00:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: width of #container

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 at 13:33 -0400, Emily Boyd wrote:

> Changing to a variable width layout is going to require a fair few
> changes to the CSS, apart from changing the width of the container.
> Currently the front page relies on fixed sizes, and just changing
> the width of the container will not maintain the layout.
>
> I'm going to take a look at creating a variable width version of the
> CSS this week - I may have to also change the design of the front
> page so that it's more suited to variable width.

What is the status of this?  The site still appears to be fixed width.

There have been a number of improvements since the initial release of
the new site and it is now becoming more useful.

This is a list of issues I still see with the new web site:

- Clickable titles: e.g. the section titles on the main page should be
clickable and take you to the same location as the "more..." link
below the titles.  This applies to "Latest news", "Upcoming events",
"In the media", "Security advisories" and "Errata notices" on the main
page.

- Site index: There should be a site index link on each page which
takes you to a good index of the main pages.  I thought I found such a
page recently, but can't find it today.

- Visited links: Visited links use the same color as unvisited links.
When navigating a web site like www.freebsd.org where lots of links
take you to the same place this is not good.

- Fixed pixel width design: Discussed in freebsd-www@freebsd.org.

- Font size problems: "font-size: 69%" needs to be removed from
http://www.freebsd.org/layout/css/fixed.css.

- Colors: I often find the use of color on a website poorly thought
out.  In this area I don't have too many specific problems with the
new FreeBSD site.  Nothing has bad contrast

I agree with with a lot of what Eric Ryan Harrison wrote in
<20051008034820.GA30150@theimpossible.net>.  He covered these and a
number of other usability issues.

In particular he writes:

> Just s/font-style:\n//g and be done with the whole she-bang.  Your
> website will be better for it.

I think that should be "s/font-.*;//".  I may even try that with a
privoxy filter.

Stuart Barkley
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone