Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 01:05:46 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        robert@kedoin.com (Robert Kedoin)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID motherboards ?

On 5 Feb 2001 16:59:56 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you =
wrote:

>I am thinking about building my own small server at home and looking to =
use
>RAID in the server. A friend strongly urges me to use FreeBSD in this =
new
>machine.
>
>As I begin selecting components, I was wondering if FreeBSD supports the
>hardware RAID implementations on some motherboards. If it does, can you =
tell
>me which mboards are supported ? If not, I'll just steer clear of the =
boards
>with built-in RAID since I won't be able to use it in FreeBSD.

Apart from the SCSI versions, the built in IDE RAID controllers are very
much software/driver dependent for their RAID functionality.  If you are
looking for low cost RAID, get your self a 3ware IDE controller.  They =
work
very well, have excellent driver support and are quite fast and
inexpensive. www.3ware.com

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)