Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 16:07:55 EST
From:      bhaskin@juno.com (Brian A Haskin Jr.)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        bhaskin@juno.com
Subject:   Panic: cannot mount root

After installing 2.2-GAMMA the 2-5-97  snapshot I tried to boot from the
floppy BOOT: prompt with
wd(1,a)/kernel.

It seemed to find the kernel okay and went through the probe then had the
panic after a message about
switching root to wd1a.

My setup is an AST Advantage 824 with an added MAXTOR 3.5GB hd in case
anyones familiar with that,
spelled out it is:

CPU: pentium 133
IDE controller 1 master: IBM DJAA-31700 1700MB this has WIN95 on it
IDE controller 1 slave: Toshiba XM5522B CD-ROM
IDE controller 2 master: MAXTOR 83500AB 3.5GB this has a 121MB WIN95
partition and the rest is FREEBSD

The IDE controllers are built into the motherboard I don't know what type
it is.

The probe is reporting the correct geometry for the hard drives.

Thanks for your time,
Brian Haskin <bhaskin@juno.com>