Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2006 03:59:07 +0900
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
To:        deischen@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Symbol versioning for libc

Hi,

>>>>> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 22:19:22 -0500 (EST)
>>>>> Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com> said:

eischen> I've been working on symbol versioning libc and have a patch
eischen> that seems to work.  It's been tested on x86 with build &
eischen> install world, KDE, mozilla, and firefox, but there may be
eischen> some problems I haven't found yet.  These would likely result
eischen> in undefined symbol errors from libraries or applications.

eischen> I'd like to commit what I have to enable wider testing, but
eischen> turn off symbol versioning by default.  I would also like
eischen> re@ to take a look at the version namespace scheme.  The
eischen> following was derived from Sun's convention.

I'm working on upgrading the base version of our resolver in libc to
BIND8's one.  We'll have more functions than existing our resolver.
Though it will rename/remove some functions, we'll have compatibility
syms for such functions and symbols to provide binary backward
compatibility.  So, it could be MFC'ed.  I think that such
compatibility syms can be removed safely using your symbol versioning
stuff once your stuff is activated.
Which timing is better to be done my work before your commit or
after?

Sincerely,

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/