Date:         Tue, 08 Oct 96 14:54 PDT
From:      Denis DeLaRoca (310) 825-4580        <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
To:        multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: GUS PnP driver release 4

On Tue, 08 Oct 96 12:08 PDT,
   Denis DeLaRoca 310 825-4580 <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU> said:

> Bottom line, in full-duplex mode sound is better, reverb distortion is
> gone, but background static is present. I have no idea wether it is an
> artifact of Vat -- and more puzzling than in half duplex the sound is
> subjectively cleaner.

Well I've been hanging around the CBC Radio feed for a while and I've
had periods where the sound in full-duplex mode with vat-4.0b1a has
been nearly perfect -- but the background static does come back at
times. I also had times when apparently network conditions were such
that sound overall degraded -- no way around this of course -- and
in this case the full-duplex driver would do better than the half-duplex
driver.

Anyway, the background static that appears some of the time seems to
be some artifact of how sound is being fed to the card in full duplex
mode, ie., the half-duplex audio-voxware module doesn't seem to exhibit
this problem.

-- Denis