Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 1995 02:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        phk@freefall.cdrom.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

> > > It seems like a fine application of the `ports' facility.
> >
> > That certainly is a possibility. It is not _my_ #1 choice, though.
>
> I going to counter Garrett, and say:  Put it in the main branch.

I am going to counter Poul, and agree with Garrett, and give reasons
for doing so.

a)  It is very likely to change as RFC's get done to cover this and
    we will more or less be forced to rip out what ever we had done
    to implement what is in the RFCs.

b)  This is cryto code and may have legal ramifications that none of
    us have fully evaluated (and I wouldn't consider it fully evaluated
    until some one has consulted with the State Department and/or an
    attourny (didn't we have some one once offer us free or low cost
    legal counsel??).

c)  A port collection is lets us look at how this stuff all works and
    intergrates without mucking around with the main source tree.  It
    gets the code to our user base just as well, and becomes totally
    optional.

Please don't just say things like ``I am going to counter so and so''
with out giving a good reason for the counter, it is a waste of
bandwidth and argument without meat does not stand well in a battle.