Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 1995 17:29:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        blair@itsnet.com (Blair Schmittel)
Cc:        smp@teal.csn.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD???

Blair Schmittel stands accused of saying:

> >you need to give specific information as to EXACTLY what your
> >problems were b4 you can expect anyone to be able to help you.
> >
> >---
> >Steve Passe
> >smp@teal.csn.org
> >
> This is as specific as it gets: I'm running on a i486DX/2 66 540mb hdd, 8
> meg ram.

That's fair enough, but the rest of the info isn't too good yet; let's
see what we can work out though...

> With sendmail which is running in the background, it will send mail out of
> the system through a shell account, but will no let any remote site connect
> to the server.  The server refuses the connection.

Hmm. Sendmail can't send mail via a 'shell account', so I've got no idea
what you're on about there.  Whant to be a bit more specific about
"the server refuses the connection" ?? What do you get if you say

% telnet localhost smtp

> I can not get X-Windows to run either, I'm using X11R6.  This is what it says:
>
> Failure: not found
> Bad: not found
> Cannot: not found
> ld.so: not found
> X: 7: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
> TRANS(SocketUNIXConnect) () can't connect: errno = 2
> giving up.
> ./xinit:  Interrupted system call (errno 4):  unable to connect to X server

What are you actually doing to start X?  You should run the configuration
program (xf86config) first to configure X, and then start it using xdm.
(Just say 'xdm' as root.  Read the documentation for more info.)

> Blair
>
> PS How do you give a user a false shell, in the master.passwd file I tried
> typing in the shell of /bin/false (I was told this) but it didn't work.

If you were using vipw (which you must), shells not in /etc/shells will
be rejected.  Add an entry in that file for /nologin, and specify that.
Make sure there isn't a file called /nologin.

> blair schmittel     CyberNaut

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[