Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 07:32:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        ChrisMic@clientlogic.com (Christopher Michaels)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sniffers and Sniffer detection [General UNIX question]

In a previous message, Christopher Michaels said:
> [...]

No, I tried it.

However, the previous answer isn't entirely write. Promiscuous mode is
a factor of the permissions on the /dev/bpf? device. When I set bpf0
to 660 root.wheel, and I'm in wheel, I was able to use tcpdump. When
I set it to 600 root.wheel I couldn't. Even when in another window root
was running tcpdump.

> 	2. How do you take the interface out of promiscuous mode once it's
> in it?

This I'm not sure, I hope that this closes automatically.

--
ON THE ROLE OF BEAUTY AND HANDSOMENESS IN LOVE

"Beauty is skin deep.  But how rich you are can last a long time."
                                   --Christine, age 9