Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 15:30:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Scott Carmichael <freebsd@jobeus.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /var/log/wtmp question

What's up with unresolvable hostnames when logging in?

When I used to log into my box from the school, using OpenBSD 3.0, both
using 'who' and 'last' would show an IP as the hostname that the box at
school reported did not exist (to the outside world), so instead it would
just log the IP. However, now with FreeBSD 4.5, it's logged it as "invalid
hostname", thus giving me no indication of where someone logged in, if the
hostname doesn't resolve.

How can I fix this, and why does FreeBSD do this? Or is it even 'fixable'?

Thanks,
Scott Carmichael