Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 1995 00:16:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   new tcl/tk versions

I have made diffs to the newest versions of tcl and tk (tcl7.5a2 and
tk4.1a2) so that they install on my system as tcl/tk, just like the old
7.3/3.6 versions.  I have noticed that tcl seems to be regaining some
stability, and it seems like a great deal of tools have been moved to
support of the new versions.

If anyone wants the diffs, they support static and dynamic libs.
Understand, they won't coexist with any other versions, and they'll break
stuff written for versions 3.6/7.3, so that's the reason I haven't made
ports of them.

If at some future time it might be decided that a permanent move to these
newer versions is wanted, I'd be happy to turn them into ports, but right
now, it'd just serve to confuse folks who didn't understand the confused
state of the tcl/tk stuff.  If you want the diffs, they're not too long,
and I will mail them back to anyone who sends me a request, but you're
strictly on your own if you blow away needed apps (that rely on the
older versions) because of it.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;