Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:35:25 +0000
From:      Vlad Galu <dudu@dudu.ro>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inconsistent utx.active?

On Friday, February 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Ed Schouten wrote:

> Hi Vlad,
>
> > Has anyone else noticed erratic bookkeeping by utmpx in RELENG_9?
>
> Would you mind explaining to me what you're seeing? It's hard for me to
> fix bugs if I don't get proper reports.
>
> --
> Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl (mailto:ed@80386.nl)>
> WWW: http://80386.nl/

Hi Ed,

Yes, sorry about that. I'm seeing stale (which sometimes turn into duplicate) entries when I log off and on again. The symptom seems to be exacerbated by unclean logouts (such as when my stateful corporate firewall kills my SSH sessions - I don't have keepalives active at either end).

In the example below, I'm actually logged on from IP address X.Y.Z.T, the first two entries belong to earlier sessions that have been long gone. The pts is the same, and the command displayed under WHAT is mirrored for all 3 entries.

-- cut here --
dudu@joint ~ $ w
11:30PM up 2 days, 6:17, 3 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE WHAT
dudu pts/0 A.B.C.D Thu05PM - w
dudu pts/0 A.B.C.D 1:10PM - w
dudu pts/0 X.Y.Z.T  11:30PM - w