Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:18:37 +0200
From:      Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        M Prabu <mprabu@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: amd64/87436: gui does not start on the ATI RS480 M2-IL chipset board with AMD64 processor

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 15:05, M Prabu wrote:
> i have a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor system with MSI RS480 M2-IL
> board. my chipset is ATI RS480. i have a segate 80 GB harddisk . the
> video is onboard ATI Express 200 series. i installed Free BSD i my
> system from the cd which i burnt from the cd images given in the Digit
> magazine. the version is FREE BSD 5.2.1 Warty release. the default
> booting does not start and only the safemode starts and no GUI appears
> in the safemode.

You still haven't defined by what you mean with 'no GUI appears'. Does X not
start? Do you get no video at all?

Some notes:

1) 5.2 is _ancient_ by amd64 standards (other standards as well). Please use a
recent release like 5.4 or get the 6.0 release candidate, since it is said to
be quite an improvement over 5.4 in a lot of areas.

2) Take a look at the motherboard compatibility page
http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html ; you see that there
are tricks related to getting it to boot at all, and that the on-board video
is poorly supported by X.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot