Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2012 21:55:20 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer recommendation please

On 03/31/12 21:32, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 21:17:52 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
>> Watch the older type fusers though- they can develop 'flat spots' on the
>> rollers. The newer printers use a ceramic type fuser which has fast
>> warm-up and no flat spot troubles.
> But it's still possible to get replacement parts for older
> office printers. I said _office_ printers, even used ones
> that you can pick up for few dollars or a bottle of beer.
> Spare parts aren't expensive, and in many cases, you can
> install them yourself. The "funny" thing: Even for 10 years
> old printers (and even older ones), they are available.
>
> Try _that_ with a home consumer inkpee printer! :-)
>

>> Also keep the dust low on _any_ printer and it will last longer and
>> perform better. Dusty paper can cause major issues (both printing and
>> mechanical) as well.
> Sometimes rubber parts tend to "harden". There are a few
> "tricks" to make them soft again, but the typical solution
> is to replace them for few dollars. Note that this isn't
> something you'll notice in 2 - 5 years of use. You often
> need 10 or more years to find fail and trouble in a good
> printer. Good printer == office printer, as I said befire. :-)

All absolutely true. My point was the few 'gotchas' for printers and
what to watch for. Also the better features for new printers.

I seem to remember using eucalyptus oil to revive cracked rubber - not
that it happened much with the latest rubbers (2k+). A little alcohol
cleaner will clean them up usually to get them going again for another
100 or so pages- usually a lot more :) You can also use a little mag
polish on the exterior panels of the older ones to remove stubborn marks
and make them look new again (unless they've gone mediteranean and been
a bit sunburnt).

Parts (for the old and new - trick is to find a supplier, a quick google
will do) are a dime a dozen almost - can be touchier on the colour
printers though, not that the parts on those wear out too quickly: you
can usually expect 30k out of those parts anyway- a lifetime for those
printers.

Try and get a printer _designed_ to run 100k before servicing (like
Kyocera), and you'll buy a new printer before buying a new cartridge
(possibly). A 1010/1020 did that, I'm not sure what the (descendant)
newer models are.