Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:37:39 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, jobaldwi@vt.edu
Cc:        motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp, jdp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, freebsd-tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 04:11:21AM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> His reply to this was to mention that the framework will allow that
> but he wasn't clear whether he will allow per-language defaults to
> be determined by the users of the languages.

There are two different sorts of defaults and users here.  The defaults
that the users of a FreeBSD system will see, and the defaults that the
administrators of that system will see.

From a user's point of view, little will change.  In fact, the biggest
change is probably going to be to English language users, who up
until now have had their documentation install in to /usr/share/doc,
with the other languages being forced to have subsidiary directories
in here.  This will change, and English will become just another
language in the list at /usr/share/doc/.

To a Japanese user of a system, /usr/share/doc/ja/ will continue to exist
as it always has.

To a Japanese admin, things will change very slightly.

In 6 months, or 12 months, or whatever, I want *all* the languages (not
just Japanese) to default to an "install" target that

   1.  Installs in to ${INSTALL_DIR}

   2.  Makes a compatability symlink from ${SHORT_PATH} to point to
       ${INSTALL_DIR}

[ I've just picked those variable names off the top of my head, they
  almost certainly won't be that in the final Makefile ]

I would like the defaults for those variables to be

  Lang / Enc.               ${INSTALL_DIR}            ${SHORT_PATH}

  US English                en_US.ISO-8859-1          en
  Japanese (EUC)            ja_JP.eucJP               ja
  Japanese (SJIS)           ja_JP.SJIS                ja
  Chinese (EUC)             zh_CN.EUC                 zh
  Chinese (Big5)            zh_TW.Big5                zh
  [...]

with the final directory that ${SHORT_PATH} points to determined by the
order in which the docs are installed -- the first encoding installed
becomes the default, unless the admin either breaks and remakes the link
by hand, or runs "make install" with a special variable set.

I can see that the Japanese team might want to reverse this for some
time, and have ${INSTALL_DIR} = ja and ${SHORT_PATH} = ja_JP.{EUC,SJIS}
as necessary, and they will be able to set this if they want.

Note, however, that the installation directory semantics for the Japanese
documentation will then be subtly different from the semantics for every
other language variant that can be installed.  I think this is a bad thing,
and that it should be phased out over time (say, over the course of the
transition from one major release of FreeBSD to the next -- so that
v4.0 would ship with the switched order, as Satoshi is saying, and that
v5.0 would ship with it back so that it is the same as for every other
language).

My personal feeling is that, from the start, the Japanese docs should use
the new directory name, and retain the short symlink, and that doing the
switchover in two jumps is more confusing than doing it in one.  But I
don't care about this small point sufficiently to keep discussing it for
the next three weeks.

Note:  This says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about where ports will install their
docs.  Historically that has been /usr/local/share/doc/ja, and I'm not
about to touch that.  Hopefully the scheme I'm outlining will prove
sufficiently flexible that the ports maintainers will see it in their
interest to move to the same scheme under /usr/local/share/doc/ja, but
that's entirely up to them.

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--