Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 1997 11:49:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        "Jon E. Mitchiner" <jon@minotaur.net>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DPT Raid Controller Drivers (fwd)

Hi "Jon E. Mitchiner";  On 01-Aug-97 you wrote:
> > It is all in working order.  the server was down for this weekend.
> Sorry.
> > try patch 1.1.10 in sendero-ppp.i-connect.net/crash.
> > A boot floppy will be there shortly.
>
> Just wanted to clarify the raid configuration process -- I have 6 drives,
> the first 2 drives will be mirrored and used as the boot drive, and the
> other 4 drives will be used for mirroring, or perhaps striping 1/2 drive,
> and then using software to mirror it onto the 3rd/4th drive.

Io need.  If you have two or more busses, split the disks evenly across
two busses.  If not, just put them on bus zero.
See a previous posting on how to set them up.  There is really little point
in splitting the boot disks from the rest, except for easier partitioning.

> Do I need to configure the drives outside of FreeBSD or does the boot.flp
> give options to configure the RAID options/configs?

You have to use dptmgr.  The boot floppy does not (yet) give you this
option.

> If you could make some steps on how I should go about setting up the
> system, let me know and I'll probably be doing a total conversion
> tomorrow
> and see how it goes.  It's going into a production machine so hopefully
> it'll work smoothly. :)

I already posted a step by step, but here are the essential steps:

*  Install everything
*  Boot M$-Dog
*  Put DPT floppy #1 in A:
*  Run DPTMGR/fw0
*  Initialize to ``other O/S''
*  Create the RAID arrays you want
*  Remember to alternate busses whenever possible (bus-0 disk 0,
   bus 1 disk 0, bus 0 disk 1, bus 1 disk 1, etc.)
*  Re-boot DOS
*  fdisk to leave a small/large DOS partition on the ``first disk''
*  Install FreeBSD

Simon

P.S.  I am forwarding a copy to FreeBSD-SCSI.  Others may find this useful.