Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:23:25 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   4.5 RC1 Now Available, Final Release January 26th

--jaoouwwPWoQSJZYp

FreeBSD 4.5-RC1 / i386 is now available :

ftp://releng4.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/
                                                    4.5-RC1.iso

  The RC has been on ftp-master for several hours, so ftp.freebsd.org
and the other Tier 1 mirrors should pick up the bits soon.  The build
for the Alpha platform will also be available shortly (within 12
hours).
=20
  Please help test this release candidate on as many different
configurations as possible.  Robert Watson posted a testing guide for
FreeBSD 4.5 to the -qa list, which is archived here :

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D35004+0+archive/2001/freebsd=
-qa/20011223.freebsd-qa

  We're particularly interested in seeing the RC put into more
demanding environments than just a typical desktop install.  A number
of significant changes have been made that should increase performance
over 4.4, and we'd like to test these new improvements as much as
possible.

RC1 x86 Errata :

  The ISO image includes XFree86 and a full package set, so if you
think a package is missing that should be on the first CD of
4.5-RELEASE, please speak up now.  Currently, we're planning to make
the following changes to the package set for RC2 :

  1. Remove KDE dependency on teTeX, and move this large package to
     another disc.

  2. Use the extra space to add fvwm and GNOME + Sawfish.  These
     packages are needed by sysinstall but are not available on this
     RC due to space limitations.

RC1 Alpha Errata :

  - The release build was named "RC1" instead of "4.5-RC1", so the
    sysinstall welcome menu may look a bit funny.  This will be fixed
    for RC2.

  - XFree86 3.3.6 currently has build problems on the Alpha, so X is
    not included on this first RC.

  - The Alpha ports-cluster is not available to the ports team at the
    moment, so this RC lacks packages.

And finally, our original release schedule proved too aggressive for
the holiday season.  We've delayed the release until the 26th to give
our -stable users more time to test the recent changes.

  Thanks!

  - The FreeBSD 4.5 Release Engineering Team

--jaoouwwPWoQSJZYp

--jaoouwwPWoQSJZYp--