Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:40:53 -0800
From:      John Mitchell <john@mj.com>
To:        Derek Tattersall <dlt@mebtel.net>, "Alexey V. Neyman" <avn@ns.any.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Asus A7V133

At 16:53 02/18/2001 -0500, Derek Tattersall wrote:
>I have a similar setup: ASUS A7V 1Ghz Athlon IBM ultrastor IDE hard
>drive, and I had no problems whatsoever with the drive installed on
>either controller.  I also installed Red Hat 7 on the primary
>controller, as it did not support the UDMA 66 controller.  I now have
>4.2 Stable and Red Hat Public Beta installed on the drive connected to
>the Promise controller.
>
>Sounds to me like something is a little strange with your hard drive
>or the BIOS setup.

It's not quite that simple.

The A7V uses the Promise PDC20265 ATA-100 controller, but the A7V133 uses
the newer PDC20265R chip.  The new chip supports two new features, Raid-0
and Raid-1, so it's likely to have some significant internal
differences.  Incidentally, for some reason Asus decided to lock out the
Raid-1 features in the BIOS, although the Raid-0 features are usable.

Also, as well as using the newer KT133A chipset, there are other changes to
support the higher FSB speed.  Examining the A7V and A7V133 you can see
that board traces are modified somewhat and there are a number of
additional components on the A7V133 board.

All these could contribute to the problem described, but it's most likely a
controller chip issue, albeit a rather odd and unexpected one.

John