Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:37:09 +0000
From:      Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
To:        ribone@vt.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2 Vanilla Install Question

hi,

> Hi, I've recently installed FreeBSD and I've been struggling with a
> couple of things, most notably my inability to get an Xserver
> working for my Voodoo3 card.

Ok - this could be a problem with 3.2.  I got my voodoo 3 card just after
FreeBSD 3.3 was released

> I know xfree86 3.3.5 supports that
> card, and i know there is a project out there that only distributes
> their files in RPMS.

There should be sources.  this is not an easy option for new users.  I
would consider upping your FreeBSD version to 3.4 and using the XFree86
3.3.5 packages.   This is probably the easiest solution on your part
but unfortunately, not the cheapest.

> I've tried installing RPM on my system, and I
> can kludge it into working (kinda), but when I attempt to install
> these files I get a message telling me that it doesn't recognize ELF
> file formats.

you need to run /stand/sysinstall and find the option to run in
'Linux compatibility mode'.  This should sort anything out here.
I think it's in configure/start-up.  (I normally do yucky manual
configs).

> It tells me to use brandelf, which i do using the -t Linux
> attribute... this doesn't work, though,.... i've tried finding suitable
> documentation on this before posting a question to you, but i've
> failed in that respect.

you might also need up to date linux libraries as the ones you get
appear to be RedHat 5.2 based - very old.

> if you would happen to know of a way for me
> to solve me problem and get x running it would be great. i
> appreciate your time...

I hope this helps to some degree.  you might find out any more info
at the following URL including sources (if you haven't been there
already):-

linux.3dfx.com

Chris Smith
Raytheon Systems Limited