Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:08:43 +0100
From:      Oliver.Zinke@t-online.de (Oliver Zinke)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   troubleshooting

Hey Guys,

I'm from Germany and just bought the current FreeBSD 3.3 release.
Actually, I'd like to see my system working on my Intel/386 machine but
due to some strange mistakes I don't have any success at all.

The problem is:

I use two IDE-Hard Disks described as wd0 and wd1. The first disk is
occupied by WIN95 and LINUX, the second one is completely empty. Well, I
used fdisk to create a slice of 3GB addressed as wd1s1a and divided it
into three partitions:

    500 MB for /
    496 MB for swap
    2000M for /usr

After editing the disklabel and adding the bootmanager I finished and
installed my customized distribution.
Well, and now the system always changes the root device to wd0s1a where
it obviously doesn't find anything and cries "panic: cannot mount root
(2)". This is followed by a reboot. I tried to unload the kernel and
reload it with arguments such as "boot kernel -wd1s1a", "boot kernel
-1:wd1s1a" etc.
Now I don't know what to do 'cause it is impossible to set an R-flag for
a slice in the fdisk manager.

Well,I hope you have an idea that'll help me out.

Thanks for your efforts.

Oliver Zinke