Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:14:53 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: roll-in installation?

In message <19980225110405.40141@freebie.lemis.com>, Greg Lehey cleopede:
>On Mon, 23 February 1998 at 14:14:48 -0800, Greg Shenaut wrote:
>> Is there a mechanism already in place which would allow a hands-off
>> roll-in installation from SCSI tape of a FreeBSD distribution onto
>> a virgin machine?
>
>What I've done is to make one installation, copy a disk image to tape,
>and then restore it to other disks, thus creating a complete clone of
>the first machine.  This sounds like it would fit your bill.

Yes, I thought of this, but hadn't tried it because I have no tape
drive which can hold a whole disk image.  Maybe I should just go out
and buy one, but I am exploring trying to zero all free blocks to reduce
random bytes and then writing out the image using a compression filter.

BTW, in an earlier message I asked whether there was any way to zero
all the free blocks in a file system, and, just minutes after sending
the message, I realized that a three or four line C program which opens
a file for writing, writes zeroes to it until a write error occurs,
then unlinks it, should do the trick.

In fact, "dd if=/dev/zero of=foobar bs=32k ; rm foobar" would be even easier.

Then, just follow this with "dd if=/dev/rXd0 | compress -c > /dev/rst0" or
whatever.

-Greg