Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 15:22:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, david.myers@Corp.Sun.COM
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A pointed question: SMP directions...

I didn't realize that kernel level JAVA support was even being
contemplated.

Jaye what do you mean by saying you currently have no need for kernel
threading support?????

Lastly, David, if you want to experiment you can dual boot the machine
with FreeBSD and Solaris. Good way to see first hand the performance
differences :-)

---Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net> wrote:

> I think the instability in -current is greatly overrated.  I have just
> taken the path of "When I find a snapshot that works, hell must chill
> before I move to a new snapshot".
>
> Of course, the more people that install it and use it, and report
bugs,
> the sooner it will be more stable, so there's kind of a chicken and
egg
> problem.
>
> My 3.0 boxes from around the beginning of Oct (10/8) have been just
> solid little clunkers.
>
> I would suggest you install it and try it.  You can always delete it.
>
> Of course, I can only speak as a pretty satisfied user with
something like
> 4 3.0 boxes (all duals, the quad's firing up next week).
>
> Now the multithreading issue is a whole 'nudder story, but since I
> currently don't have a need for it, I haven't been following the
> discussions too closely, but IIRC, kernel threading was a way off, and
> I think was hampered a bit with some of the locking issues in the
kernel
> that were being discussed recently.  But I could be mixing apples and
> kiwis.
>
> On Fri, 5 Dec 1997 david.myers@Corp.Sun.COM wrote:
>

> > Folks:
> >
> > Let me ask a pointed question as... delicately... as I can.  I've
been
> > using FreeBSD on my home machine for close to two years.  Like it a
> > lot.  Gotten very comfortable with it.  Particularly like the ports
> > collection and the ease of bringing software up on it.  But I've got
> > this nifty dual Pentium Pro box.  As it happens, I also work for
Sun,
> > doing mostly Java work.  So Solaris 2.6 looms large.
> >
> > The pointed question to this list: rate yourself, guys.  Rate your
> > progress in getting multiprocessor/multithreading BSD up and
running.
> > How close are you to matching the SMP features of the Solaris
kernel?
> > (And I think back to the couple of bad years we had when our
kernel was
> > having growing pains...)  Now, add to that the difficulties in
getting
> > Java up and running under FreeBSD -- Kaffe will be very nice
*someday*
> > -- and what can I say?  I'm leaning towards Solaris.
> >
> > Note that I'm not a kernel hacker, and 90% solutions are probably
> > fine.  I'm looking for that warm, fuzzy feeling that SMP FreeBSD
will
> > be "rock solid", as the CD packaging says.  I'm just thinking, we've
> > got some awfully smart people here at Sun, and it sure took them a
long
> > time to get SMP right.
> >
> > Now, of course, Solaris is a little more piggish than BSD --
"meant for
> > mission-critical applications" as we would say around the office.
I've
> > never liked SysV from a user and administrator point of view, but
I've
> > learned to cope, what with a Sparc box sitting on my desk.  And
> > attempting to master Solaris' bizarre PPP implementation is always
a joy
> > -- a real problem for a home/hacker machine.  But that
out-of-the-box
> > multi-CPU support and the kernel Java support look nice...
> >
> > So I'd love to hear what the roadmap looks like; what the projected
> > feature set of SMP FreeBSD will look like.  And timelines.  How
> > far do you think you'll get by the time 3.0-RELEASE comes out?
Comments