Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:27:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Orville R. Weyrich.Jr" <orville@weyrich.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Major trouble NFS mounting from Linux

I have tried every trick I can find in the FAQ and man pages, and
cannot get my FreeBSD system (named BASHFUL below) to mount NFS file systems
from my Linux Slackware 4.0 (kernel 2.2.6) (named SLEAZY below).

I can mount from SLEAZY to another Linux box (kernel 1.2.8) (named DOPEY
below) just fine.

SLEAZY is a 400 MHz AMD K6 with 3c509 ethernet adaptor.
BASHFUL is a 450 MHz Pentium III with 3c905 ethernet adaptor.
DOPEY is a 486DX2/66 with 3c509 ethernet adaptor.

I can telnet from any of the boxes to another.

On SLEAZY I have run the daemons
	/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd -n -p
	/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd -n -p
to allow non-priveleged ports and promiscuous behavior.

On SLEAZY I have exports set up:
	/net/sleazy_a   dopey(rw,no_root_squash) bashful(insecure,rw,no_root_squash)

On SLEAZY I have /etc/hosts.allow:
	rpc.mountd : ###.###.###
	rpc.nfsd : ###.###.###
where ### is the class-C IP address of my network.

On Sleazy I have /etc/hosts.deny:
	rpc.mountd : ALL
	rpc.nfsd : ALL

on BASHFUL I execute the command (as root)
	mount -t nfs -o -P,-w=1024,-r=1024 sleazy:/net/sleazy_a /net/sleazy_a

and I get the following response on BASHFUL console:
	nfs: bad MNT RPC: RPC: Timed out

with the following entry in SLEAZY /var/adm/syslog:
	Dec 28 13:04:50 sleazy mountd[291]: access from host BASHFUL rejected

Any suggestions?

Help greatly appreciated.

orville.