Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 11:46:01 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI bug (possibly in the ncr driver)

On Sep 16,  2:18, Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:
} Subject: SCSI bug (possibly in the ncr driver)
} I get the following message whenever I do a msf play command on my
} cdroms:
}
} cd1(ncr0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
} or
} cd0(ncr0:3:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
}
} Since the scsi code has not changed recently, and since I never had
} such errors with an adaptec, I conclude that there is a problem with
} my ncr driver... Curiously the other cdrom commands work correctly.
} I also get this error with a -stable kernel.

Well, the message is quite clear:

The CDROMs don't support the command they receive,
Don't know, whether the Adaptec implements special
magic to better deal with that situation, but it
is no driver problem.

(Which Adaptec did you use successfully before ?)

The driver sent the command, received the status and
let the GENERIC SCSI code write that message ...

Perhaps it is possible to find out, WHICH field has
been the cause of the command failure. But I guess
this will require some CDROM technical manuals, that
I don't have access to.

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160