Date:      Mon, 16 May 2022 11:23:40 +0200
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Cc:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org>, Micha?? G??rny <mgorny@gentoo.org>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hang while trying to boot armv7 on qemu-system-arm

On Mon, 16 May 2022 11:20:22 +0200
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 May 2022 09:11:05 +0000
> Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 03:21:50PM +0100, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > [...] I've been trying to boot armv7 via qemu following the recipe on
> > > wiki [1] but without success.
> > >
> > > I've been trying the armv7 images from FTP, 12.2 in GENERICSD and RPI2
> > > variants, and 12.1 in GENERICSD variant.  In all cases, the system
> > > seemed to hang [after these lines]:
> > >
> > > Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
> > > Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
> > > Using DTB provided by EFI at 0x47dfd000.
> > > Kernel entry at 0x57e00180...
> > > Kernel args: (null)
> >
> > I've just tried following the same wiki recipe with GENERICSD images
> > for 12.3 and 13.1-RC4, with the same outcome, regardless of the QEMU
> > version.  How to proceed from here?  Is wiki recipe missing important
> > details?  If it works for someone, could you guys share exact versions
> > of QEMU, U-Boot, FreeBSD version and image type you're using?  Thanks,
> >
> > ./danfe
> >
> > > [1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/QemuRecipes#armv7
> >

> GENERICSD doesn't have the QEMU u-boot.
> We cannot add it as it have the same name than the u-boot file for
> RPI-B.
> So what you need to do is to pkg install u-boot-qemu-arm and copy the
> u-boot.bin from there in the image.
>
>  Cheers,

 Mhm no that might not be the problem now that I've looked at the first
mail.
 I've never used qemu for armv7 but hanging here could be a lot of
things.
 It could be that we do not recognize the serial in the DTB (if
something have changed in qemu and we do not support it for example),
that's the first thing I'd look at if I was interested in this problem.

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> <manu@FreeBSD.org>