Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 02:24:19 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Bill Bartley <comet@loop.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disappointed by lack of ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM support

Bill Bartley wrote in message ID
<32776C5D.553C@loop.com>:
> Couldn't any progress have been made on the cdrom drivers in two
> years?

This is a volunteer project. I'm afraid that all the complaints in the
world won't change the fact that unless someone (a) has the time to
work on it, (b) wants to work on it, and (c) has the hardware relevant
to what he wants to work on, nothing will get done.

The ATAPI standard is a mess, and that is one thing that has disuaded
people. And a lot of developers have higher-end systems that have
SCSI, and hence wouldn't touch IDE with an electrified barge pole.

I believe someone has volunteered to work on the driver, but as with
everything, no promises I'm afraid. I'm sorry to hear your complaint,
and wish that something could be done, but we just don't have the
resources (financial or human) to throw at this and make the entire
system better.

Yours,

Gary