Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2007 12:26:53 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MD5 Collisions...

--nextPart4085718.YkimdDvLxy

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 10:43:45 am Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> Josh, good day.
>
> Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 10:10:32AM -0600, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> > > The usefullness of this with application to the ports collection
> > > is questionable, since you should make two colliding archives and
> > > both of them should be unpackable and the second should do some
> > > evil things.  But strictly speaking, there are attacks producing
> > > files with the same size and MD5 hash.
> > >
> > > http://www.cits.rub.de/MD5Collisions/ is also a good reading.
> >
> > It's not really questionable....for all practical purposes it's
> > worthless.  In order to generate meaningful same-length collisions you
> > need control of the original file.  (Your links go to lengths to explain
> > this...) In the case of a ports distfile if you have control of the
> > original file you really don't need to go to great lengths to generate
> > collisions, you can simply toss your malicious content in there right
> > from the get go.
>
> Yes, thanks for clarifying the point that one should be able to control
> both sequences in order to produce colliding files with the same size.
>
> But there is at least one scenario, when such attack is useful, if
> one will be able to produce two colliding source archives.  Suppose,
> I am providing a port with new sources (either the new port or an
> update to the current one) and I am controlling the source tarballs.
> The sources will be supposedly reviewed by some parties and they
> will find no backdoors in it.  So the port comes in the systems and
> it is thought to be good and useful.
>
> Once the port proved itself, I am replacing the good source tarballs
> with the evil ones (remember, I had prepared two colliding archives)
> and no one will notice the difference with MD5 + size check.  But new
> port installations will be doing something different from the sources
> that were reviewed.
>
> Again, this is only theoretical thing with many preconditions, but
> if I am able to make two colliding archives, then other things are
> not very hard to achieve.  People are producing colliding X.509
> certificates, so we have an example of not 'just junk colliding
> content', but something meaningful.
>
> I am not going to flame about the real possibility of doing these
> for many reasons, and the first one that it is no longer doable for
> the current ports where SHA256 is in the game.  All I wanted to say
> that there are scenarios where one can exploit MD5 weakness, providing
> one can extend MD5 collision attacks to archives.
>
> Shutting up.

Well, your point is well made, correct, and a realistic scenario (depending=
 on=20
your paranoia level)

I totally agree with the original links posted.  We know MD5 has problems,=
=20
it's only a matter of time before a really significant one is discovered,=20
therefore it makes sense to avoid using it whenever possible even if the=20
current problems don't seem to affect your use-case.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB