Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 1995 01:28:13 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers), scrappy@hub.org, geoff@ginsu.com
Subject:   Re: Building a gateway

>As Joe Greco wrote:
>
>> options GATEWAY used to increase certain kernel resources as well as
>> enabling IP forwarding.  If this is still the case - I would say that the
>> sysctl method is much less preferable.
>
>As you said: ``It used to...''  It doesn't do it any more, David
>Greenman has been incresing these sizes unconditionally to the GATEWAY
>values long before.

   Actually it's more complex than that now. The calculation of the buffer
limit is based on a constant plus maxusers (scaled appropriately). This gives
a rough approximation of connections/buffers per process and seems to be a
fairly good fit.

>People should expect options GATEWAY to disappear some day.

   Yes. It's externally controlled now and is no longer needed.

-DG