Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 02:57:23 -0800
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Patrick O'Reilly <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvsup of ports, then what?

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 12:51:55PM +0200, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:
> Ok, thanks to many of you for helping me get cvsup on the STABLE branch
> running!!!
>
> It's so "kewl" to be so up to date! (Sorry, these young techies running
> around these days are having a bad influence on my vocabulary :)
>
> Anyway, I want to use cvsup to keep up with the ports I am using too.  I
> understand that ports are effectively CURRENT, not STABLE, that's OK.  I've
> also run cvsup on the ports-all collection, and got a whole update of the
> ports tree.  So, the cvsup bit is done - no problem.
>
> But, what now?
>
> I have a number (15 or so) of packages/ports installed.  Do I need to run
> "make" for each of my ports again?  Or is there something simpler that will
> know which ports I have installed and do them all together for me?  Also,
> mergemaster is a beauty when making the world - is there anything similar
> for the ports?

You can check the port version against what is installed, I am not aware
of any tool providing this at this time (hey, another little project to
do if nobody has done it already)

All cvsup on ports does, it downloads the latest port version. This can
be a new Makefile because there is a newer source code available, it
might be a new patch to fit that software better into the system.

> PS: I have looked through the Handbook and found all the info on running
> cvsup - but I'm not seeing "what to do next".  If I've missed it just point
> me at the chapter/appendix number.
>
> Thanks.
> Patrick.

Regards, Ulf.