Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 08:44:59 -0500
From:      Doug Poland <dpoland@polands.org>
To:        Eric Landreville <elandrev@lino.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 486 DX33

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 11:00:16PM -0400, Eric Landreville wrote:
> I was wondering if i had 20 or even 32 megs of memory if freebsd
> would be running.

I've got a 486 DX33 w/16MB RAM running as a NAT/gateway and it's fine

> I don't want to install any X-window component ,
> only the text mode and I'd like to use my Freebsd box as a Web,ftp
> server and maybe as a gateway for my personal home network. Would
> I be able to do all those things with my pc if I'd have 20 Megs of Ram.

It'll work but don't expect great performance serving http.  From a
practical standpoint, if you're going to upgrade the memory on that
box to 32 or 64MB it could cost as much as a motherboard/CPU upgrade
for an ATX chassis.  (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?id=14)

I'm not trying to discourage you from experimenting or putting what
would be a useless Windoze box to use (I do this myself).  Just letting
you know that if you have to spend money, memory for these old boxes
is expensive.  The last time I did a buildworld it took 56 hours.

--
Doug