Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 20:27:38 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wanted: Testers for an alternate to /usr/obj (as we know it).

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
>> this already works with the current bsd.obj.mk ;-))))
>
>Erm, not really..

It allow multiple 'make all', I thought this was the main goal.

>> # compile for obj-mavic, set CFLAGS or other variables
>> $ env BSDOBJDIR=/tmp/obj MAKEOBJDIR=obj-mavic make -I \
>
>Yeah, I know about BSDOBJDIR (I changed it :-), but it doesn't help me
>make the world.
>Also, I want the obj links *out* of /usr/src altogether since I don't
>want anything ever writing into that hierarchy.

1. I think this confuse many people, I expect many 'where are
   the object files?' questions in the future.
2. We have mount_unions. If it is broken, fix it (remember the
   NFS discussion - we don't change the system if a minor part
   is wrong)
3. A read-only /usr/src is a feature, it should not
   break the current algorithm with obj symlinks
4. Don't change the behavior of MAKEOBJDIR, use a new variable
   (e.g. MAKEOBJROOTDIR) and set .OBJDIR internally to
   $MAKEOBJROOTDIR/${.CURDIR}/$MAKEOBJDIR or $MAKEOBJROOTDIR/${.CURDIR}

Wolfram