Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 11:22:41 -0700
From:      Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
To:        freebsd_mail@yahoo.com
Cc:        key@network-alchemy.com, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hibernation on FreeBSD

Hi Greg,

   I get no-beep on my win2k/4.3-release dual-boot.

I don't think the BIOS is missing it.  I think it's the PS2.exe tool
for Win2K that's missing it.  We have a T21 here that is a FreeBSD
v4.2/ Win98 dual-boot.  I just confirmed that Fn-F12 from Win98
gives me the IBM BIOS screen and it hibernates to disk. Rebooted
into FreeBSD and Fn-F12 hibernates there as well.  So it's the
same BIOS, just different OS's.  I did try to copy over the Win98
PS2.exe (and ps2main.exe) to run under Win2K, but that failed
miserably (OS2 error pop-up).

All of these machines are using the FreeBSD MBR.  (I confess, I experimented
with LILO once in my life, but I didn't inhale :-)

When I do a Win2K Hibernate, the OS is writing the hibernate file
rather than the BIOS.  When I boot after a Win2K hibernate, I get
the bootany F1/F2/F3/F4 prompts and can boot straight into FreeBSD.  I
take this to mean that the Win2K hibernate stuff is all at the point
of it's OS loader and completely independant of BIOS support.  I know
the Win2K hibernate works on desktop machines, as well, which I think
further supports my theory that it's independant of BIOS.  But I
don't mess with WinXX more than I have to...

Regards,
K^2