Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 1995 13:40:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC

(Moved out to -hackers, that's why almost fully quoted.)

sysv{shm,sem,msg}

> > LKM's?
>
> That's what I thought too when I spoke to Jordan shortly before he did it.
>
> When we were talking, I griped about the fact that if the SYSV* stuff was
> not loaded, and somebody tried to use them, the system mercilessly killed
> the processes without explaination, causing much confusion by the user.

You don't think the "Illegal system call" ain't an explanation? :-)

> There are a couple of things that spring to mind....
>
> First, instead of making the system call table for the sysv routines
> pointing to nosys(), they could point to something that does a tprintf()
> (or is that uprintf()) giving them a message _why_ they got killed,
> before calling nosys().  This may actually be useful in general if there
> was a generic nosys()-type wrapper that printed the name/number of the
> attempted syscall before zapping the process.

Do it. :)

> Second, this sort of thing is crying out for Terry's demand-loading LKM's,
> but I dont really want to get into that religion.. :-) If we hunted
> around, I'm sure we could find enough stuff that could be demand-loaded to
> make the space saving bigger than the cost of the kernel-linker on
> average. (ppp, slip, tun, sysv*, some of the fs's, etc)..

I think ppp and slip can be demand-loaded already.  For tun, it's a
bit different (as it's for slip, FWIW): they are required for the
installation process, and demand-loading wouldn't make sense on the
install floppy.

> Third, I'd be happier if they were LKM's by default rather than in
> GENERIC, and the "as-shipped" /etc/sysconfig loaded them by default, with
> the abilility to disable them.  I think that'd get around Jordan's need to
> ship a fully-functional system that Xaccel, XFree etc wont blow up on if
> the advertised SHM extension was used.  I don't have the time/inclination
> to do that however, so I wont complain.  If Jordan can make it fit on the
> floppy, as far as I'm concerned (since there's no "better" solutions to
> the vendor's needs yet), he can go right ahead.

He cannot make it fit on the installation floppy. :-)

The GENERIC in 2.2-current required a major deletia when i've last
attempted to build a 2.2 "release", including but not limited to the
entire PCI stuff and almost all Ethernet interface (except of the ed
driver since i'm using it :).  Only after this, it did tightly fit
into the 0x200000 bytes limit again.

RELENG_2_1_0 is not yet as bloated.

--
cheers, J"org