Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 13:14:36 -0500
From:      Charles Green <green@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX Sound SystemTM (USS) Lite (Formerly VoxWare)

        Ok, I can agree with keeping the old version (3.5?). But is it
particularly necessary to continue  a separate developement? This could
result in diverging APIs. I understand that the idea is to keep the same
API but people's best intentions have a tendancy to get lost. Hanuu will
add a feature, the FreeBSD developer says "Hey, we don't need that. But we
do need xxxx". Now we have two different diverging APIs. Not to mention
adding more work for someone out there in FreeBSD land.
	What I suggest, if possible, create a port to add support for USS
Lite. There has to be a compromise, somewhere. I really don't think we
should just say "We will NEVER use it!". That's like cutting your nose
off to spite your face.

        Perhaps we should consult Hannu before continuing this debate?
After all, there are no commercial incarnations of FreeBSD.

--
Charles Green, PRC Inc.			             UN*X System Administration
22 Powell Ave. Apt. B 		   	                  UN*X Security   &