Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 1996 11:46:00 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        fenwick@hposl03.cup.hp.com (John Fenwick)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, fenwick@hposl03.cup.hp.com
Subject:   Re: Install/Configuration questions

John Fenwick stands accused of saying:
> I am trying to understand the operation of the FreeBSD boot managers
> to solve some install difficulties.  The install target is a SCSI disk PC.
> Perhaps you can shed some light on these questions.
>
> * Is the boot manager - either booteasy or osbs - typically installed
>   in the first 60-odd sectors of a boot disk, and if so is it installed
>   on top of what existing DOS boot manager may have already been there?

The boot manager lives in the first sector of the disk, beside the MBR.
I _think_ that os-bs may occupy some space in the following (unused)
sectors of the first cylinder.

> * Using one particular install configuration results in only the first
>   17 sectors of the disk being used to install the boot manager.
>   What has been installed in this case, and why is it different
>   from the 62 or 63 sectors noted above?

I don't follow this.  I can only guess that something is writing the
whole first cylinder, as it sees it.

> * If I overwrite my current Win95-installed boot manager by installing
>   one from BSD, would I be able to recover the original Win95-installed
>   boot manager by running the DOS "fdisk /mbr" command?

Win95 doesn't have a boot manger.  You should be able to remove either
Booteasy or os-bs with 'fdisk /mbr', yes.

> * Are the install tools for boot managers available under UNIX,
>   or are they only available under the DOS tools on the CDROM?
>   If I wanted to migrate my BSD installation to a different disk,
>   would I be able to copy the boot sectors also?  Would "dd" be able
>   to do the copy in this case?

Migration to a new disk is always best performed by backing up, reinstalling
to the new disk, and restoring from your backup.

> * Can you recommend some documentation that would describe where such
>   things as the locations and sizes of partition tables, disk labels,
>   and boot managers, are typically found on boot disks?

The traditional answer here is "read the source".  I'm sure other people
have suggestions for DOS-oriented references.

>  - John Fenwick

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[