Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 00:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions Discussion List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 require upgrade 2.1.7 -> 2.2?

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Jeff Roberts wrote:

> I have recently been informed that, because the XFree86 3.2
> that came with my 2.1.7-RELEASE doesn't work with my Trident ProVidia 9685
> (even at generic VGA settings -- just turns the monitor off), I have to
> upgrade to the 3.2A beta if I want a working system (text-mode UNIX on a
> single-user system is about as useful as MS-DOS to me).
>
> I checked the d/l sites, and the only FreeBSD distributions for 3.2A are
> for 2.1.6 and 2.2 .  Since my Walnut Creek 2.1.7 claims to be a security
> release (fixing the problems in 2.1.6), the 2.1.6 version doesn't sound
> like an option -- which leaves me with 2.2 .

No, the 2.1.6 version is safe.  You're looking at the X server only, a
single binary.  You don't have to upgrade the libs and whatnot, just pull
the X server that covers the Trident (specific Trident accelerated or
SVGA) and overlay your existing server, and repoint /usr/X11R6/bin/X to
it.

I had to do this in the 3.1.2 beta series when the Mach64's changed
chipset and the old release didn't work with them.  It was
extract-and-copy for three or four cycles.  Never a problem.