Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2014 11:14:18 -0600
From:      Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
To:        Chris H <bsd-lists@1command.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Merge ping+ping6 and traceroue+traceroute6 to single utilities?

On Jan 12, 2014, at 3:15 AM, Chris H <bsd-lists@1command.com> wrote:

>>> remote login tools, we are usually aware of address family when =
using network
>>> management tools.  We do not just want to know the reachability to =
the host,
>>> but want to know the reachability to the host via a particular =
network protocol
>>> such as IPv6.  Thus, even if we had a unified ping(8) command for =
both IPv4 and
>>> IPv6, we would usually type a -6 or -4 option (or something like =
those) to
>>> specify the particular address family.  This essentially means that =
we have two
>>> different commands.
>>=20
>> Disagree. As I showed in my previous message, *only* in the case of a
>> name with both A and AAAA records is this necessary.
>>=20
>> I use unified ping and traceroute on JunOS daily. It's a blessing not
>> to have to specify the address family.
>=20
> Disagree. In the current, on FreeBSD, in either case, it's less =
keystrokes.
> How is ping -6 || ping -4 better?
> What's the point?
> How will modifying all the some thousands of scripts everyone =
currently uses
> based on the current commands, make it better?
> Really. This is a silly argument. Adding switches makes no sense.

While I tend to agree with the query, (that ping6/ping and =
traceroute6/traceroute could be merged), and
that the =91old=92 behavior can simply be hand via passing in -4 or -6 =
as a switch, this thread is quickly entering
the domain otherwise known as =93bike shedding=94.

There *have* to be better things to do.

Jim