Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:19:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        tomdean@ix.netcom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time for some new man pages

Terry Lambert wrote...
> > The change WILL NOT AFFECT your scripts, UNLESS you are using the
> > compiled-in default devices in tar, dump or restore.

> > I'm sorry to have to use caps, but many people have the wrong ideas
> > about this change.
>
> What about DEVFS?

Unfortunately, DEVFS isn't going to work properly under CAM, since
according to Bruce, you can't register device nodes in an interrupt
context.  Or something like that.  He can explain it a bit more.

(Device arrival events in CAM are delivered in an interrupt context.)

So, for now, it doesn't matter.

But, once DEVFS works with CAM, I guess the only device nodes that will be
supported are the new-name device nodes.  (Unless we make a decision to
create both.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry