Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2006 09:46:14 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clock running too fast

Thierry Lacoste wrote:
> On one of my servers running 6.1-RELEASE-p10 I cannot keep the clok
> synchronized using ntpd. AFAICS this is certainly because the clock
> is running way too fast (about one second per minute).
>
> After I run ntpdate then ntpd the clock is drifting and /var/db/ntp.drift
> contains 0.00.
>
> Is there a way to slow down the system clock (something like tickadj
> under some linux distributions) ?

Take a look at "sysctl kern.timecounter", and choose another clock from the
list of choices (by setting kern.timecounter.hardware to something else in the
list of choices).

If you are using TSC now, especially on a dual-CPU system, try using ACPI-safe
or i8254 instead.  If you are using the ACPI timecounter, try looking for a
BIOS update for your hardware; perhaps that might fix the bogus clock.

--
-Chuck