Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 18:18:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        jcald@orbit1i.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for help selecting tape device

Michael Smith wrote:

> Jody B. Caldwell stands accused of saying:
>
> > I have FreeBSD running on a 386 and I am trying to get a tape backup
> > device that will work with it.  I tried the Colorada Backup (HP)
> > T1000 with no luck.  Does anyone out there know what I should get.
> > I want to implement regular scheduled backups to this device.
>
> What's wrong with the T1000?  I seem to recall that people have been
> using them OK - I'd check the mailing list archives for references
> before giving up hope.

	the HP Colorado T1000 comes in two flavors:  floppy and parallel.
	capacity is 400MB native, 800MB (approx) compressed.  thruput
	will be *slow*.  unless you have no other choice, you  dont want
	this device.

	get yourself a nice scsi tape unit 1.3GB native for the same price.

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/